Why I’m Slowly Leaning Towards Business Over a Traditional Job
Every time I scroll through LinkedIn or talk to friends, the same question keeps coming up: job or business? Before I share what I really think, I want to dig into what “business” actually means. Not the fancy corporate version you see in movies, but the real, everyday meaning that affects all of us.
Let’s start simple.
What Business Really Is
Business is any organized, regular activity where you produce, buy, sell, or distribute goods, services, or even ideas — with the main goal of earning profit, all within legal boundaries. It’s not about making quick money once and disappearing. It’s about doing it repeatedly, building systems, and creating value for others while satisfying their needs and wants.
A single sale doesn’t make you a businessman. Selling your old bike to your neighbor isn’t business. But opening a small repair shop, stocking parts, serving customers daily, and growing that into something sustainable — that’s business.
The shopkeeper down the street, the Uber driver working full time, the woman selling handmade jewelry online, the software freelancer, the farmer supplying vegetables, even a doctor running his own clinic — they’re all in business. They provide something useful and get paid in return. Money becomes the medium that helps everyone meet their daily needs.
I like this practical view because it removes the glamour and shows business as something very human.
How Different Thinkers Define Business
People have tried to capture the essence of business in clear words. Here are some definitions that I find useful:
James Stephenson said: “Every human activity which is engaged in for the sake of earning profit may be called business.” Simple and direct. If profit is the motive and you’re doing it regularly, it’s business.
Dicksee described it as “a form of activity conducted with an objective of earning profit for the benefit of those on whose behalf the activity is conducted.” This one highlights that business is usually for owners or shareholders.
L.H. Haney focused on wealth creation: “Human activity directed towards producing or acquiring wealth through buying and selling of goods.”
G. Hicks saw it more broadly as “an economic procedure through which individuals and groups exchange goods and services among themselves.”
And my favorite simple version: Business is an institution organized by one or more persons to produce or distribute goods and services to satisfy human wants, with the incentive of earning profit, while accepting risk.
What I take away from all these is that business has a few core elements:
- Regular and continuous activity
- Profit motive
- Creation or exchange of value
- Element of risk
- Legal framework
- Focus on satisfying customer needs
Without regularity, it’s just a one-time deal. Without risk, it’s probably not real business. And without customers getting value, it won’t last.
The Reality of Running a Business
Business isn’t always glamorous. You wake up thinking about cash flow, competition, rising costs, and unhappy customers. There are days when nothing sells. There are months when expenses eat up all the profit. But there are also moments when you see your idea actually helping people and the numbers finally turn green. That feeling is addictive.
I’ve seen small businesses around me. My cousin started a small grocery store five years ago. At first it was just him and his wife managing everything. Today he has two employees and steady customers who trust him. He doesn’t have a boss telling him what to do, but he also doesn’t have fixed salary security. That’s the trade-off.
Job vs Business: My Honest Take
Now let’s come to the big question: What do I prefer — job or business?
I used to think a good job was the safer, smarter choice. You study, get a degree, land a position in a company, earn a monthly salary, enjoy weekends, and build your life around that stability. Many people I know are happy with this path. They sleep peacefully knowing their salary will hit the account on the 1st or 2nd of every month. They get medical benefits, paid leaves, and someone else worries about profit and loss.
But over time I started noticing something. In a job, your income is usually capped. Your growth depends on promotions, which can be slow and political. You trade your time for money. And if the company faces trouble, your job can disappear overnight.
Business, on the other hand, offers unlimited upside. You decide your own ceiling. If you solve problems creatively and serve more people, your income can grow exponentially. You build an asset that can run even when you’re not actively working. You create something that might support your family for years. You learn skills faster because you have to wear multiple hats — marketing, finance, operations, customer service.
However, business comes with real stress. No salary on bad months. You bear all the risk. Health issues, market crashes, bad decisions — everything hits you directly. Many new businesses fail in the first two years. That’s the scary part.
Right now, I personally lean towards business, but with a smart approach. I wouldn’t advise anyone to quit their job tomorrow and jump blindly. The best path for many is starting a side business while keeping the job. Test the waters, learn from small failures, and build momentum. Once the business can replace your salary comfortably, then make the full switch.
I prefer the freedom and growth potential of business, but I deeply respect people who choose stable jobs to support their families. Both paths are respectable. It depends on your personality, risk tolerance, financial responsibilities, and life stage.
What Makes Someone Successful in Business?
From what I’ve observed, successful business people usually have these habits:
- They are consistent even when results are slow
- They focus obsessively on customer problems
- They manage money wisely (especially cash flow)
- They are willing to learn new skills constantly
- They accept that failure is part of the process
You don’t need to be extremely intelligent or rich to start. Many big businesses began in small rooms or garages with very little money.
Final Thoughts
Business is essentially about creating value regularly, taking calculated risks, and earning profit while staying legal and ethical. It’s not for everyone, and that’s okay. Some people thrive in structured environments, others in chaotic creative ones.
I’m still figuring out my own journey. Part of me wants the security of a good job, but a bigger part wants to build something meaningful that has my name on it. Maybe I’ll do both for some time.
What about you? Are you team Job or team Business? Have you ever tried starting something on your own? What stopped you or what pushed you forward? I read every comment, so please share your thoughts honestly.
If you’re thinking about starting, begin small. Solve one problem for ten people. Charge a fair price. Learn from the experience. That’s how real businesses grow.
Thanks for reading this long post. I know 1000 words is a lot, but this topic deserves it. Business isn’t just an academic subject — it’s a life decision that shapes your freedom, income, and future.
Let’s keep the conversation going.
Stay curious and keep creating value.
Comments
Post a Comment